Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Planting Fever

It's too early to plant.  I keep telling myself that.  It's only the 24th of March.  The last freeze date here is in May!  We could still get a snowstorm!  I should keep the seeds safely in their packets until mid-April, at least.

Except for spinach.  It's okay to plant spinach, right?  After all, spinach only needs a soil temperature of 50 degrees to germinate.  I have no idea what my soil temperature is, but I once read that you can plant spinach before the soil is even completely defrosted.  I have no idea if that's true, or if I'm even remembering it correctly, but I'm trying it.

I'm also dying to plant some radishes, and some lettuce.  Oh, and some scallions.

I ate a salad for lunch today.  A salad made with a head of lettuce for which I paid more than $1.50.  With old, end of the season carrots and bland hydroponic tomatoes.  I couldn't even bring myself to purchase the other flavorless, shipped-from-heaven-knows-where produce I was faced with in my grocery store.

I just wish I had a cold frame. If I did I could start planting things. It may be time to do some research and build myself one!

No comments:

Post a Comment