My mom always insisted on the value of spring-cleaning. Every year, we emptied cabinets and closets, scrubbed them, sorted the contents, washed what needed it, and put everything back, ready for a new season. The work wasn't any fun, but it did and still does appeal to my basic, pack-rat nature, to know that everything is in its place.
Of, course, spring-cleaning the garden is even more fun. I've spent the last two days cleaning out flower beds. It's probably a little early. It's only March after all and we could get some more cold weather, although the minus zero temps are hopefully gone for good, but more snow isn't out of the question until June. I, however, cannot wait any longer. I've just got to know what's going on out there.
So, for the last two days I've been gently raking the leaves out of my flower beds, removing the dead top growth from last year, and doing a survey of what is growing underneath. Some of my evergreen shrubs are showing fresh, green growth, and some of the perennials are as well. The irises and various mosses are no surprise, but the sedum groundcover is. If only I had planted some bulbs last fall, I'm sure some of them would be up as well.
Of course, there is another type of plant that is growing and needs tending to already: Weeds. I've added 'weeding' to my daily schedule already. I'm determined to keep on top of them this year, because getting rid of what you don't need is part of spring-cleaning, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment